Thursday, March 10, 2011

Guest Blog #1 (by the Wifey)

Hello interwebs! Lucas is otherwise engaged tonight watching the Lakers versus the Heat, so you're stuck with me... SUCKER!

We spent a lot of time (okay, I spent a lot of time) dreaming up ways to make our house a home after we became homeowners. I had a good long time to decide how I wanted things, and I put a lot of thought into what colors I wanted to incorporate into our surroundings now that we were allowed to paint our walls WHATEVER WE WANTED! Sorry about the caps, but I love color about as much as I love candy (and don't even get me started on colorful candy!!!).


I do tend to gravitate towards blues and greens, however, and so these colors show up a lot in our house. As a geographer, I thought it would be a spectacular idea to have a room inspired by colors often found on a globe (think water and land). In stepped a lovely color by Olympic paint named "Aqua Bay" which ended up all over our living room/library/office.


On a slightly bluer note, "Kingston aqua" ended up in our den/sunroom.


And our guest room inherited a paint color from my sister's old house that she had plenty of and I happened to love. (Our bedroom is a soothing purple, but as it has never been clean enough to cooperate for a photograph, that will be evidenced in a later post.)


The bathroom ended up a happy marriage of greens and blues, with the wall a purpley shade picked to match the existing tile floor.


Now, I know what you're thinking. "Oh my, how varied and exciting these bluish greenish purplish colors are!" (And you're thinking it in a sarcastic tone, I can just tell.) But wait! We departed from my go-to color scheme in the dining room, where Lucas's more earthy palette really took over in a tone of "Tomato Bisque" (such an appropriate color for vegetarians)...

Hi mom!
All of this color has really kept me cheery all winter, and it's certainly getting me excited for Spring. I don't regret a single color choice (which is good, because after all of this painting I really don't feel like picking up another paintbrush for a REALLY LONG TIME. Or until it gets warmer out so we can paint the side of our house that needed new siding. But on that issue, I'm mostly motivated by the fact that having one side of our house a different color from all the others has definitely made our house the "trashy" one of the cul-du-sac all winter).

I hope everyone's lives are full of color as we get closer and closer to Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment