Sunday, March 6, 2011

Adios February

Ahhhh.... it is good to be in March!  February proved to be a doozy of a month.  It is like, "Hmmmm, I don't have as many days to pack craziness into, so I better make sure that each day is extra nutty."  AND, I seriously disagree with the first "R" in February.  Seriously, say it a few times with each letter sounded out.  I now apologize for making you sound ridiculous.

Anyhew, it is March and that means that Spring is just around the corner.  This is the first growing season that we have been in our house and I am totally geeking out on our garden.  Let's just say I stopped by the library.

Gardening = Making Yummers
It is hard to tell when we will really be able to get out and start working with the dirt, but it isn't too early to start planning things out.  Any day now the three feet of snow on either side of our walk will be gone and I am going to need some things to plant.  It is time to start some seeds indoors to prevent from having to buy expensive started plants later.

With a few coupons good for our local Ace Hardware, I picked up a seed starter kit and some seeds (beet, radish, lettuce, spinach, tomato).  Sitting down at our kitchen table I started to plant.

Did you know what beet seeds look like?  I didn't!
I planted six starters of each vegi (yes, I know tomato is a fruit) with three seeds in each starter.  Hopefully at least one seed in each starter will thrive.

My beautiful babies, you'll learn more than I'll ever know.
Given that I am a lazy blogger, this last picture is from three days ago.  The radishes have already taken off, take a look at them from tonight!

Dirty, green, fuzzy, what part doesn't sound delicious?
Yikes!  So, as mentioned earlier, there is still a lot of snow outside and these plants can only stay inside so long!  I figure I have two weeks to create a covered raised bed that can go out on our deck.  A simple wood box with a sloped front that has glass over the top.  It is like if a raised bed garden had a baby with a greenhouse (and neither of the parents had much money, but that doesn't mean they didn't love their baby).

Always wanting to be resourceful, I scrounged up some materials at work today and started creating my box.  I took an old wooden pallet and disassembled it, and found an old window in the basement as well.    It has a little further to go, but this is it thus far.

I am borderline on being handy!
Given that this is going to be on our deck, I don't want this box to get too heavy or leave a gross mess on the wood.  So, instead I am going to use this to house the plants in containers.  I will put a little shelf on the back to create a second tier of plants.  Fingers crossed!

Hope everyone out there is getting to do a little gardening this summer, even if it is just a basil plant in a windowsill (still cool and delicious!).  I think in my dreams I would live way far south where lemon trees and avocados were like weeds (drool.....).  Anyone thinking about growing something fun this year?  I'm thinking potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment