Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Winter Joy Joy

Snow has been falling almost all day and it is freeeeezing cold outside; it is expected to start raining this evening and create lots of ice.  It looks beautiful, but it is a beauty best enjoyed through a window from a cozy perch.

Looks like Bessie might need more than just her scarf!
After closing work a little early and getting back home, it was time to hunker down.  There are a few things that say snow day for me: 1-pajamas, 2-roaring fire, 3-movie, 4-nap, 5-board game, 6-baked goods.  I wasn't really concerned about items 1-5, these are no brainers, so the question was what to bake.  With the holidays recently over I'm not really craving any cookies or sweets, but a nice loaf of bread sounds just right.  I grabbed a recipe for focaccia that I had used before and got mixing.  It is from a cookbook that came from one of my all time favorite restaurants.

Proofing yeast (1.25t),
water (1C), & honey(1t)
Yummy Christmas present honey

1.White/Wheat Flour (1.5C each)
2.Salt (.75t) & Rosemary (1T)
3.Olive Oil (1.5T)
In the mixer for a few minutes
This winter I have fallen in love with our fireplace.  Yes, I'm sure that some day I will be tired of lugging around logs and putting in the time of getting a fire going and heating the place up slowly, but I am loving it for now.  Also, it works great for getting the dough to rise!

I lost...
Rising by the fire
1 hour of rising
Punched down & another hour of rising

Now, for whatever reason, I decided to roll the dough much thinner than usual.  I think maybe I wanted a big loaf of bread even though I halved the recipe. 

20min at 400F
Focaccia bread with vegi burger,
mozzarella, roast yellow pepper
Well, with some PJs, a raging fire, some fresh bread, and being with someone I love, I would say that this storm has been weathered quite well.  Of course, having a snowblower that looks like it came from Mad Max doesn't hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment