Sunday, January 16, 2011

Big City

We were in New York this weekend and were able to visit the Museum of Modern Art.  There was a wonderful exhibit called "Design and the Modern Kitchen."  It was all about the evolution of the kitchen and how modernization has taken place in this specific area of the home.  From original tupperware, to posters telling you how good butter is, to videos explaining how washing dishes by hand promotes "the dead soul of the housewife," this exhibit was exceptional.

If Paula Dean had a tattoo that covered her entire back....

Since moving out to the boonies I think I have made more observations about how it differs from being in the city than how it is similar.  Food, however, is one the great equalizers, and the pursuit to eat well and obtain quality food is a common goal of those living in a city of millions and those living in a town of a few thousand.  It is a little ironic that leaving the fields and farms that surround me and heading into Manhattan is something that revamped my desire to start gardening.

I think my favorite part of this exhibit were the posters encouraging good food practices.  I especially enjoyed the following poster which appeared to encourage healthy eating...


...when really it is more about saving the really tasty foods for our troops.  War can be hell, but at least you can have a steady diet of wheat, meat, sugar and fat!  Here are a few other foodie posters to enjoy:

What will I say when he eats my rations?
"I always knew."
Mommy, I want a bunny!
45lbs of delicious bunny!






Message: Mice are terrible and rabbits are delicious.
A little extreme, but I enjoy the sentiment.
"Rabbit in Casserole"

















Message: Grow your own food (and have you tried the rabbit yet?).














I'm going to end it with our favorite poster from the exhibit.  As vegetarians, we couldn't help but love the "Vegetabull"!


*Still love the "Vegetabull" even though he contains a tomato which is a fruit and not a vegetabull

No comments:

Post a Comment